Brought the kiddos to do some longkang (drain) fishing the other day. Unlike back in the day, when kids used to fish in real drains for free, longkang fishing nowadays are more sanitised and commercial.
We first headed for Kids' Kampong, only to find out that they closed in December 2013. So we popped over to the nearby Mainland Tropical Fish Farm at 1 Pasir Ris Farmway 1.
Half and hour of fishing costs $4. We got a bucket and a small net to catch the fish with. Try as we might though, we ony caught one fish. They like to hide among rocks and plants and are really, really fast. A better tactic would have been to get two nets, and have one person chase them from their hiding place and the other person can then catch them as they try to get away from the first person.
Anyway, they don't actually give you the fish you caught. When we returned the bucket with our one lonely fish, we got a packet with 4 fish inside in exchange. I guess that's so that children won't be disappointed going back empty-handed when they did not manage to catch anything. I am not sure, but I would think that they would give you all the fish you caught if you caught a lot.
We also bought a packet of feed at $1 to feed the koi with. Both Little Man and Little Lady preferred to practice their fine motor skills by pushing the pellets through the netting, rather than to toss them over to the fish.
All in, it was a pretty fun couple of hours.
Little Man: 3 years 9 months
Little Lady: 20 months
Time For A Cuppa #4
Time For A Cuppa is a weekly link-up here at A Cuppa For Mama. There is no set topic. Simply grab your beverage of choice, link your post and visit the other linked posts. I only ask that it is:
b) something you have written for that week,
c) not a giveaway
- Scroll down to the end of the post, past the other linked posts till you find the button that says "Add your link". Click it.
- Paste the URL of the post you wish to link.
- Type in the name of your post and email address.
- Click "Done".
- Like my Facebook page, if you haven't already done so. :)
- You may also add the Time For A Cuppa badge (code below) and add include it at the bottom of your submitted post, or add it to your blog.
- Visit the other links and leave a comment or two! (Not compulsory, but nice to do. :) )